Re: RC: knee surgery

Rides 2 Far wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Since bad knees apparently are a major part of endurance, I figured it
> was justified to have one more public post on the knee situation, to
> educate and inform you :-).  THANK YOU to all who wrote and gave me an
> idea what to expect.  For those of you who are interested...ACL surgery is common in the older set and very successful.
>
> Now, for my situation.  Turns out that the reason my knee is locked up
> right now is that the meniscus (padding between the bone ends) is torn
> and doubled over which is blocking the action of the joint.  It's
> apparently been torn a long time, (how was I supposed to know) but just got itself folded just right the other night.  I'll have surgery Thurs. morning and they'll cut it away...tiny incision, no stitches.

Angie, I've had two of these surgeries a long time ago. They used to
just cut the dangly piece off , but most orthopods feel it's better if
they can repair the cartilage ..sew it back together now. I have both my
knees without cartilage on one side, which means bone rubbing on bone!
YUCK!./ If you can, have them repair it unless it's too damaged.

> Now, for those of you with ACL problems. My original injury came from a mare rearing over backwrds on me in 1979. The Dr. said, "you did this 20 years ago?  Why didn't you ever get it fixed for goodness sake?"
>
>  I said, "20 years ago they said they don't fix them, and then in 1989
> when I injured it again they said I wasn't a good candidate and it's a
> difficult surgery".   He said, "1989?  Oh yeah, in 1988 I said I'd never do this surgery, it took 6 hours and we almost always had to go in again and again, it was not a successful surgery; but now we've gotten very successful at it and fix them every day".    Well DUH!  Like I call a surgeon every year and check to see what improvements they've made.

ACL surgery is tough. It will take 6mo-1yr of hard rehab. Depending on
your age, it might be better if you left it torn and just strengthened
the knee with lots of quad and mostly hamstring strengthening. I work
with PTs and see ACL repairs daily. It's a rough road to go. Strengthen
your hamstrings real good.

With an arthroscopic meniscus repair, you'll be back riding in no time:)

Happy Tails,

Susan