Re: LD's training to move up

I would have to disagree with this:

'"Perfecting" your performance at LD (if you mean
placing higher) in fact creates a sprinter not a stayer, and HINDERS the
horse's ability to learn to do longer ridesI "

I have been told that modern theories of exercise state that the quickest
way to increase endurance is to do interval training and thus train much
faster than the expected pace of the race but for shorter distances.  This
would indicate that as one trains to go faster one should keep picking up
the pace at the shorter distance until you are going quite fast, and then
increase the distance and (this is important) drop the speed down at the
longer distance.  A few fast 25's are part of a good base for the first slow
50.

Obviously, the bones, ligaments and tendons have to be built up before
attempting the first slow 25's, the next faster 25's or the slow 50's.  I am
firmly convinced that the people who do fast 25's, and hurt their horses,
are skipping the base necessary to do either fast 25's or slow 50's etc.

At some point a horse also has to learn to camp, drink on the trail, eat at
rests, ride calmly with a group of horses etc.  A lot of this can be learned
during the ultra slow trail rides (3 miles an hour) which should be done as
preparation for the first slow 25 LD.

I guess what I want to say is to go slow, at a reasonable distance, go
faster at the same distance then increase the distance and slow way down,
speed up at that distance  continuing this process, until your goals are
met.

It is also true that the "fast" and "long" training rides are not done each
training session.  It is not the purpose of this post to cover how often
intervals and other intensive training should be done.

Ed Hauser
Sisu Farm
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016