Kimberwicke--broken or solid

> carolee lisaj@foothill.net said:
>> I have a young horse who I've been riding in a D-ring
>> snaffle but he is just too strong on the trail and is
>> going through the bit something awful. I thought of going
>> to a kimberwicke, but am confused as to which is milder,
>> a kimberwicke with a broken mouthpiece or a solid mouthpiece.
>
>Linda_Merims@ne.3com.com said:
>
>> Interesting question.  My opinion is that the solid mouth
>> Kimberwicke is milder because it does not have the snaffle's
>> nutcracker action...
>
>Christine said:
>
>> The broken mouthpiece is less severe.  I use one on my arab
>> gelding, and I love it.
>
>Linda Flemmer said:
>
>> Everything that I've learned over the last 30 years has shown me
>> differently.
>>
>> A solid mouthpiece is always more gentle than broken/jointed...
>
>Jasmine said:
>
>> If you still are not comfortable try the solid mouth
>> kinberwick it is the least severe of the two and
>> continue doing ring work as well as trail.

Well, it looks like you'll have to do what we all end
up doing:  buy both and see which one your horse goes
better in!

Report back.  :-)

It is also true that most horses will go better, for awhile,
in *any* new bit.  This is because the reason you changed
bits in the first place was because--for whatever underlying
reason (excitement, poor training in fundamentals, pain,
confusing signals from the rider)--the horse wasn't *listening*
to the bit you had.  When you change bits, he's got something
new in his mouth that feels different and he is far more
inclined to pay attention to it.  Alas, it is an effect that
doesn't last.  You only really get an idea of whether progress
has occurred if several weeks later the improvement hasn't
dissipated.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Linda_Merims@ne.3com.com