RC: Re: Syringing Tale

> >Have you considered using a large turkey baster? Ug! I tried that. The
clear plastic one was thin and broke the first time I tried it, and with
the stainless steel one I couldn't see if the stuff went in. Then, when I
finally got it in his mouth and squeezed, the rubber end came off and it
spilled everywhere. I highly recommend a little electric coffee grinder to
grind the pills.

We use a mortar and pestle...works as if it were designed to pulverize
pills! <g>  (We also have one of those twistie type pill crushers that
works pretty good.)  We then put the powder in a paper cup.  With some
pills (sulfa, for instance) that will dissolve in water, we add a small bit
of water (just enough to cover the powder.)  We then add about 30cc of
molasses...and, for some reason, molasses doesn't seem to dissolve stuff so
it has to be dissolved before hand or crushed fine.  We tried the coffee
grinder routine but it was too much hassle...seemed to not do as well as
the afore mentioned methods.

Take one of those irrigating syringes and cut a bit of the tip off with a
razor blade so that the opening is just a shade larger.  Pour in the
molasses mixture and shoot.

I've had 2 horses that had to be put on Bute regimens for extended periods
of time (one with moon blindness, and a navicular/arthritis combo caused by
the former owner starting this big guy too early)...and both guys loved
their molasses.  I had one horse on 6 months of EPM medication that hardly
needed to be haltered to take her molasses syringe.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.