Fence running

Hi, campers,

  I need your advice.  We're in the middle of building a barn for Jordan on
our own property. It's going slowly, as we both work and the weather here in
the Pac NW has NOT been conducive to building. (there was ice on my birdbath
on the 1st of June. I am NOT kidding. It's still March here!!)
We won't be ready to bring him home for good until the middle of the month.
Currently he's living across the road from us. It's only about 1000 feet,
max, and I can see him in his individual paddock from my living room.

In the last week, I've been bringing him home to graze, to get him used to
the idea that this is his home, now. He'll spend the first hour grazing. Once
he's full of grass, though, he starts running the fence. He sticks to the
corner closest to his old barn. He trots and runs until he's lathered. I've
been extending the amount of time he spends over here by a half hour every
day. He runs and grazes, runs and grazes, the entire time. After he's "done",
I take him back across the road, where he's still being stalled at night and
fed. I've had to hose him off before I take him across, because he's just as
sweaty as can be. He's still in winter coat, he hasn't shed out yet. It's
been cool and rainy, so I'm not too concerned about overheating, but
still...........I hate to see him get so upset.

Am I screwing up? Am I  prolonging "the misery"?  SHould I just leave him at
the old place until we're ready to bring him home once and for all?  Am I
helping or hurting him by trying to acclimate him, so to speak, in
increments? Or should I make him go "cold turkey"?  Jordan is a snob. He's
not bonded to another horse, he's got no best buddy at the barnlords.
Normally he won't even deign to touch noses with the other horses. He's used
to having his own paddock. He's acting like a weanling, missing his mommy,
but I certainly am not sure whether this  22 year old weanling is going to
hurt himself or what.

Any advice will be appreciated. I hate to see my "little man" get so hot and
bothered...though I must admit that all his fence running is definitely
taking some of his winter fat off!!!

Michelle and Jordan (mom, can't you see I'm homesick???)
MBlanchrd@aol.com