Re: RC: I don't think there's a solution for this...

In a message dated 6/4/99 3:31:11 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< two palm sized welts on his back near his withers.  ..., some dry spots
where the welts used to be ,(but smaller)...  I rode him in a dressage
saddle.  Still dry spots. ... some light sprinkling of white hairs....a
quarter sized solid white spot on his right wither...  Any way to heal that
spot?  Any way to make it non-permanent? >>

It's really frustrating to find that the saddle you thought fit just fine
really doesn't.  I've been this route myself.  After buying 3 different
saddles, all of which still produced variations of the dry-spots or swelling
after using the saddle for any distance, and trying numerous padding systems
to rectify the problems,  I have finally bought a Sport Saddle, and finally I
have no more dry patches, and no swellings.  I find my mare is moving more
freely in her shoulders now.  I'm sure they were alway uncomfortable with the
other saddles.  The "thickened" areas on her withers seem to be gone.  I
think that although I did do damage, it was not permenant. You too may find
that when you allow the underlying tissue to completely heal that even the
white hairs may disappear.  It is imperative however that you find something
that fits your horse.  See if you can't find someone who has a Sport Saddle
that you can borrow for a couple weeks and put some miles on in it and see if
the problems disappear.  I used mine first with a Toklat woolback and have
gone ahead now and bought the Skito ultracell pad and find I have good
results with it too.  Anyway, good luck with finding that which will work for
your horse.

Anne & the horses in Montana
Dyskrete, Stuffy, Hadia & Tifla