Re: RC: LD AWARD and Secrets of the Southwest

In a message dated 6/2/99 12:11:23 PM, renegade12@juno.com writes:

<<John-

Thanks for reminding me that you completed the 1st AERC LD Point to Point
5 Mile Ride.  I still have your award.....its the food that was cooked in
those Tarahumara Indian Pottery Cooking Bowls.  Don't worry, I
refrigerated it as soon as I got home, although it did turn a bit green.

Randy>>

Actually, Randy, I discovered some of the green stuff in my award bowl when I
got home.   Now my cousins in Bakersfield would call this chili verde and
might even try a taste.  Waste not, want not.  This would be a big mistake.
The thing is, you need to save it for the horses.

I've always wondered what the riders from the Southwest did to get their
horses through a zillion miles a year (mostly at your rides) and top ten
every race,  even the few in the region with more than ten entries.  Now I
know.  This green stuff sure beats super blue green algae all to hell.  I
suppose you must feel duty bound as AERC Prez to treat every member of the
AERC equally, but I really wonder if you should be disclosing regional
secrets.

Now that the word is out, we need to consider the consequences.  Barney may
have already told Karen Chaton about it because I saw her squirting her horse
with green stuff at the second day of the Mt. Charleston Ride.  (I don't know
which of her two horses it was but I heard her calling it "Alpo" at the vet
check even though it went on to win the race and set the course record.)  For
all I know, Karen will have a webpage on the stuff within the month.

Looking on the bright side, this may answer the question of what kind of ride
award you can afford to hand out to the 900 riders or so who will descend
upon Timberon in August for the National Championship Rides.  If you start
now, you could probably culture enough of this stuff up to really surprise
people.

Like always, give me a call if you could use a little help.

Your loyal friend,

John Parke
Solvang CA.