English/Western training methods (was Snaffle Snafoo - attn Linda Merims)

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net

From Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

RE: English & Western training practices of the 60's & 70's

Linda:
I'm sure training practices were different in differnt parts of the country.

I can't speak for every trainer from that era, but the trainers
I was familiar with, and learned from, all started the young horses
out in a bosal. From there is was the broken mouthed snaffle. All
horses that went on to be "western" trained were oved to a solid
mouthed shanked curb bit.

Lateral steering, leg aids, etc all came first. And the only 2 things
that distinguished English from Western trained was the "finish"
of teaching a "western " horse to neck-rein well and use a solid curb
bit.
All the leg aids and cues were the same.  A "western horse"
just had more training than an English horse.
To buy a western trained horse usually meant the animal was worth
the extra "neck-reining" training time...
The more training meant the horse was worth more $$$ no matter what
the horse was gonna do.

 I had a nice horse that my Farrier played polo with, and
he was trained "western", even though he had on an english
saddle & snaffle bridle. SO were the horses that fox hunted
(Big thouroughbred types.. trained western, but ridden
X country in English gear)

Western trained horses were horses with MORE training.
(But as far as actually training went..all were started the same
way).  And this was Central New York State.

I also think the big difference, is that now .. everythings
specialized.. people don't do a multitude of things with
the same horse.. they have a reiner, pleasure horse, endurance
horse, Jumper.. etc... SO you have trainers that specialize..

Barb

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-