RE: Nittany 50 (long)

Title: RE: Nittany 50 (long)

-----Original Message-----
From: Kimberly Price [mailto:kim@plough-electric.com]

7 miles later he was still acting energetic and ancy and came in down again
so we headed for the vet (who gave him lots of kisses on the nose!).  Well,
we trotted out and she goes, "he is really mad at you, ears back like he
wants to bite you" and I'm thinking "this lady is really off, he would never
do that".   I know I trotted him out on the side I normally do not plus she
wanted a wide circle so it wasn't what we practiced but he shouldn't protest
that much!

So she gives us a "C" on attitude

Some years ago, my husband rode 2 back to back 30 mile ECTRA CTR.  The horses had to vet in & out for each ride separately.  Major was grumpy from being held back to CTR speed all day, it was hot, no shade, etc.  On the trot out for the end of the first day, Major was SOUR - trying to bite Mike in the back the whole way, ears pinned flat.  You could hear his teeth click as he'd just miss Mike.  (Vets were starting a pool to see when Major would connect!)

Immediately following the vet out, the horses & riders started vetting in for the next day.  Since Mike was last vetting out, they asked him to vet in.  Rather than using what they'd just seen, they asked for a separate trot out.  (They said "rules", but I think that they still had their betting pool going!)  Major had the SAME rotten attitude.  One vet said that he'd certainly wouldn't loose any points for attitude...  he was already as bad as it could get.  (Horses only lost points for deterioration from their vet in.)  He had nowhere to go but up!

We have given up on using soap on our pads.  We throw them in the washer, let them soak for 30 minutes, wash them on heavy duty long cycle with a double rinse.  They aren't sparkling white, but they are clean and no soap residue.  BTW we use Toklat Woolbacks.

Linda Flemmer