Nittany 50 (long)

Congrads on your fun (even if pulled) ride, if there was an error I'm glad
it was in the horse's favor and nothing horrible happened.  I myself prefer
a vet to be strict even if the judgement is harsh as I know they've seen so
many more horses in these situations then myself, and that is part of the
service they so graciously provide.  Case in point:

I just drag rode Jessica's Wine Country 30 and Mystery did just fantastic.
Mile 27 we were a too slow and were already down to 48 (his normal) when we
came in so we vetted through right away and did not detack.  They only gave
a minimum of 30 minutes but we took our hour, however, I did not take the
saddle off his back, only loosened him up.

7 miles later he was still acting energetic and ancy and came in down again
so we headed for the vet (who gave him lots of kisses on the nose!).  Well,
we trotted out and she goes, "he is really mad at you, ears back like he
wants to bite you" and I'm thinking "this lady is really off, he would never
do that".   I know I trotted him out on the side I normally do not plus she
wanted a wide circle so it wasn't what we practiced but he shouldn't protest
that much!

So she gives us a "C" on attitude and also the "A" back I had at mile 27 had
shrunk to a B- because of a few heat bumps.

Within the hour the entire back was the same pattern of bumps as this
wonderful saddle pad I'm using, which never gave him any grief up to our 20+
mile conditioning rides.  He was sore for 3 days and got bute plus ligament
baths and did I feel just awful!  After talking to many the most probable
cause is two folded, possible detergent reaction (tiny bit of downey, thats
all!) and not untacking him.  My friends horse wasn't untacked either and
she did great.

But the vet saw something I didn't and for a reason too, she sees alot of
those guys trotting by.

As for the RO "riders option" part I don't know the aerc rules but they will
be happy to set you straight I'm sure if you contact them direct.

Much success to you in this ride season,
Still lurking here and there,
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab...."were gonna do what when?..wheres my beet
pulp?!")
San Geronimo Valley,CA