Re: RC: Snaffle Snaffoo

A tom thumb is the same as a argentine except the argentine will have a
snaffle ring and shanks that curve back towards the rider. All good western
trainers start a horse in either a snaffle or a bosal, then graduating the
horse to a short shanked curb that also has a snaffle ring, then to a
"true" curb, than hopefully to a spade. The snaffle has always been used on
the western set and most english bits like elevators, gags, and pelhams
came from western designs. Miller's carries richard shrake bits that are
made of black iron, including snaffles. I ride in a double bridle for
dressage so I have a aurigan single jointed loose ring bradoon and a
stainless steel medium port sliding cheek weymouth which is a true curb.
When on trails I use an "s" hackamore. When doing saddle seat I use a port
pelham which has loose rings for the snaffle rein. When working on reining
I use a stainless steel mullen mouth weymouth.When jumping I use a
stainless steel french link full cheek. I consider myself a rider and try
not to classify myself in any one group like "english", "western",
"saddleseat", or "endurance". The reason I use weymouth for reining is that
my Appy is a bit wide in the mouth and needs a 5 1/2 inch bit, hard to find
in most western curbs. I also do all of this on the same horse. See you all
thought it was hard to find ONE saddle that fit, try finding FIVE.
	jasmine