Re: Bit Advice (was Control and Courtesy)

Thanks to everyone who responded. I got some really
excellent suggestions.  However, my request seems to have
brought to light some differences in understanding of what
actually constitutes a Tom Thumb.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think some folks are confusing
Tom Thumb bits with "Argentine snaffles" or shanked snaffles
(or at least my understanding of the difference anyway....
that would be open to debate). My understanding is that an
Argentine snaffle is basically just a snaffle bit with
(usually) short shanks.... IOW the mouthpiece pivots in all
directions. A Tom Thumb is actually a swivel mouth piece
that allows the shanks to move back and forth (in one plane)
independently but the mouthpiece is not "broken"; it allows
movement only around one axis (there's probably a technical
term here that I don't know). If anyone else has a different
understanding.... I'd be happy to be educated. In any case,
there is certainly some confusion here that ought to be
cleared up for the purposes of discussion if nothing else.

IMO yes, an Argentine snaffle (by my definition) can be
quite severe if used aggressively as it does have that
*nutcracker action* some have described.  However, I also
find them to be very useful bits under the right
circumstances.  My trainer uses them as a transition bit
from the snaffle to the standard curb bit. Believe me... her
horses (and mine) are nothing if not soft mouthed.

In answer to some general questions about my horse in
particular (and we're talking about Fred, my 19 year-old
Morgan gelding).  He is well-trained and doesn't really
require the shanks of a curb for "more stop".  It's simply
that the curb action is how he's trained to stop.  The
action of a broken mouthpiece (e.g. snaffle) doesn't give
him the same cue and it's like he doesn't know what to do
with it.  He's also quite sensitive on his bars (I suspect
aggressive use of an Argentine snaffle-like bit during a
brief stint with some novice riders before I bought him).  I
could re-train him to a snaffle, but I figure why do that if
I can work with him to get better lateral control
self-carriage using a bit that is more similar to what he
works best in now.

Again, thanks everyone for their suggestions (got some
really great ones)... I sure do appreciate the resource this
list provides.  Now I'm only curious if I've been calling a
spade a rake all these years with respect to the Tom
Thumb/Shanked Snaffle issue.

Kirsten (who usually calls spades "shovels")

--
Kirsten (Price) Foruria
Vermilion Desert Ranch