Fwd: RC: Re:CONTROL AND COURTESY

I think tehre is some confusion that may ADD to the confusion regarding bits
-  a snaffle bit has no shaks - a CURb bit HAS shanks. The style of
mouthpiece does not determine whether it is a snaffle or curb. For example,
what is commonly called a "cowboy snaffle" is not a snaffle at all, but a
jointed CURB. It is rare to find a solid mouth snaffle bit but it does
happen. The most common mistake is thinking that just because the mouthpiece
is jointed, that it is a snaffle. Remember, the jointed mouthpiece in itself
is not a snaffle, and this misperception results in a lot of bad-mouthed
horses, since a lot of people think snaffles are mild. Snaffles can be
torturous on their own in the wrong hands, but a jointed CURb can act like a
nutcracker in the wrong hands, hands that perhaps think that it is a snaffle
- with no leverage. Just had to add this note, since I have seen in so many
situations a bit that was used improperly because it was misunderstood from
the get-go.
san

---- Begin included message ----
CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/31/99 11:59:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> gabbani@starnet.com.eg writes:
>
> <<  In this case, the Kimberwicke was actually the
>  softer bit. Don't know why, but I'm really happy with the result. >>
>
> Especially with Arabs and their smaller mouths, the snaffle will often jab
> them in the roof of the mouth causing major discomfort.

Another bit that I like is a mullein mouth snaffle... it's a mildly
curved bar, no joints at all. I "lent" mine out a few years back and
want to find another. I've also used a french link snaffle - it has a
jointed 1 inch midsection so that the mouth piece has 3 pieces vs just
2. It's a great snaffle bit for horses with shallow mouths.

When I last looked at a kimberwicke, the leverage points seemed to
encourage my horse to raise his head... I never sat down and tested that
speculation, but there is often a reason, aside from evasion, that a
horse will toss their head.

How to find out if the bit fit is causing a problem? Bit up the horse
and look... many "fit" problems don't take an expert to locate.

Put your fingers in the horses mouth next to the bit, let the horse
relax and get use to it, and add rein pressure. The joint of the bit
jabbing in the roof of a horses mouth will cause pain.

Rather than using a Kimberwicke, I prefer a short shanked pelham with a
mullein mouth.

It's the bit I usually use when taking others out on my horses. It takes
years of focused practice to develop the calm quiet hands needed to ride
in contact with a horses mouth, and most of us riders don't have the
concentrated "snaffle hands" that are needed to stay in contact with a
horses mouth gently enough to keep it "soft".

Because the "brakes" on most snaffle horses go on when there is tension
on the bit, the tendency is for green or insecure riders to "keep a foot
on the brakes", so I always use it on the trail with green riders.

With the pelham, any slight movement of the bit and varying chain
tension is a clear signal to the horse, and the rider can keep their
hands in a more relaxed (usually quieter) position.

I stuck a snaffle on Gav for my training ride with Mike Black and Steve
Chidester at Fort Ord yesterday; I wanted to work on getting Gav to go
on the bit and round up. His top line needs development - he's carrying
himself a bit shallow backed now that we've slowed down, because he's a
"looker", we're 'chasing" and... his head is always up! "Where's
everyone going??? I want to pass!!" It's a personality issue.

I'd forgotten how hard it is to get a resistant horse to round up and go
on the bit - particularly when their mind is focused on going down the
trail!! And I'd forgotten how much mental effort "snaffle hands" take!!!

I need to do arena work - and lessons!!! <sigh> ... I'd rather think
about the upcoming XP or the three new foals I get to play with!

  --  Linda

--

  Linda Cowles
  Lion Oaks Ranch