Re: RC: helmets

Jerry & Mary Fields wrote:

> I want to thank you for and to second the warning about the need to wear helmets.

I usually steer clear of the helmet thread, but am going to contribute a
"me too".

I came off of Kadance head first at a Ridecamp camp out at Point Reyes
(CA) organized by Karen Sullivan a few years ago, and got the sense
knocked out of me for at least 4 hours. I was lucid enough to walk back
to camp, but I was VERY out of it, no short term memory at all, and
Karen called the medics to come get me...

I was *very* out of it... and <heh!heh!heh!> I fell in love with one of
the medics taking care of me in the ambulance on the drive to the
hospital. Oh it was the real thing, I was sure of it. Boy, was I
embarrassed afterwards!

I got lucky that day - and not with the medic! My head injuries were
temporary, and three days later I was fine. My helmet had a dent the
size of Texas in it. I still have it; it's hard to throw out something
that saved your life... I show it to skeptics, hoping that in that way
it may save another life.

I have three friends not so lucky... one acquaintance had ridden all of
her life, and rode a quiet older horse, but was somehow thrown in a
creek in Milpitis and died of head injuries sometime before she was
found a day or two later. Two other friends still have vision and
balance problems 7 and 10 years later after flying dismounts and landing
on their noggins *with* helmets. Both would have died without them.

I don't say anything about people wearing them, unless they want to ride
one of my horses.

  -- Linda

--

  Linda Cowles