helmets(long)

Hi All:  It's taken me a couple days to feel up to posting this.  Friday
night, a full moon was out but it wasn't really dark yet, I was trotting a
nice medium working trot down a 2 track dirt road we'd been on numerous
times.  My horse, a very sure footed guy, did a complete summersault(sp?).
I did not feel a stumble, nothing.  He curled under just like someone was
pulling a string.  I ofcourse, went off over his head landing with my head
kinda pointed into the ground but to the right a bit I think and he flipped
over on me.  I saw him coming.  He rolled over my right shoulder and my
head.  Judging by one of the scrape marks on my helmet, my husband thinks
one of his feet hit my head as he got up.  All I know is that when it was
all over, my helmet was off with the strap still hooked and my glasses were
a mangeled mess inside my helmet.

Brawo's main wound was on his forehead(leading us to believe that was his
impact point) above his right eye, a few scrapes on his knees, and a bloody
nose (that made two of us.  I couldn't tell whose blood was dripping down,
his or mine).  Anyway, both os us are fine, he better than me! with my two
black eyes and black and blue back and shoulder.

Now about the helmet.  It is smashed.  I don't mean a little - totally
pulverized.  My head is fine.  It did it's job 100%.  My husband has no
doubt after looking at it that I would have been either dead or with very,
very servere head injuries.  He is taking it to his BCH meeting next week
and to our local endurance club meeting the week after.  Apparently when
the horse rolled or landed on me the helmet was smashed together 'cause
both sides are broken, punctured, ripped - you name it.

Please all of you, wear a helmet.  This horse is a very well schooled
sensible horse.  The trail was near perfect, our pace was moderate, the
only thing I saw that *might* have contributed was a tree root but I can't
believe this horse would stumble over that and I didn't feel a stumble.  I
am truly grateful to be functioning proberly, heck to be alive and with a
good horse who is fine.

Take care all and wear those helmets.

Sharon
West Region