Re: Sliester Hackamores

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Sliester Hackamore in response to a real scary runaway
situation with my horse.

I have been riding for 25 years, on hundreds of horses, a lot of them horses
no one else would ride. ( I don't do that anymore, 37, two kids, and a few
grey hairs has taught me something) But I can honestly say I have never been
so scared on the back of a horse as I was that day!

I have ridden this horse, Rayna for 4 years now, been competing for three.
She's a great mare, a lot smarter than me sometimes.  She had been voicing
her opinions loudly about the bit I was using for about three weeks, but I
wasn't listening.  She has always tossed her head alot, but she was getting
worse all the time.
I decided she was just being stubborn.  Stupid me.  Well, I went for a ride,
alone, with one of those "stop and turn" bits that a lot of people use.  She
was dreamy.  Nearly perfect.  For about a mile and a half.  Then she suddenly
dropped her head, stretched out and took off like a bat out of hell, straight
up the road,( gravel) and showed no sign what so ever that I exsisted in the
same dimension as she did.

I spent a mile and a half pleading, pulling and panicking, until she stopped
at the trail head where we normally go.  Thank God!  I think I would have
been killed if she had tried to make that corner at that speed, or we would
have met a logging truck, and you would have all been watching a remake of
"The Horse Whisperer" sometime soon.

Anyway, I had brought a bit with me, but when I went to put it on, I saw her
mouth was bruised on the bars!  Boy, did I feel like an idiot!  So I went out
and bought myself a Sliester Hackamore, in black to match my biothane
headstall, and now Rayna and I are BOTH in heaven!

I like the hackamore becuase it's well-balanced, well-made, and the shanks
don't flip up if the horse thows their head.

I emailed Teddy at runningbear, and am having a biothane-neoprene lined
noseband made, as Rayna has very delicate skin, and rubs easily.

I have never seen a Sliester with shorter shanks, but with a light hand, and
maybe a little looser curb, I think it's plenty mild.

I use a rubber chain gaurd over a biothane curb strap, not because biothane
rubs, which it definitley does not, but because the strap is narrow, and the
keepers pinch sometimes.  This set up has turned Rayna back into the
dreamboat of a trail horse that she was when I got her.

I can't say enough good things about the Sliester Hackamore in regards to my
horse.  I wouldn't buy anything else.

One word of caution:  I bought a used one, and discovered the rivits were
corroded very badly.  Be sure to check this if you buy or borow a used
hackamore.

Well, I'm off to camp with my horse for three days, then a ride next
weekend.... See ya on the trails!

Julie and Rayna