Re: John Lyons methods for spooky horse

In a message dated 5/16/99 9:09:35 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
milamj@agtelco.com writes:

<< Anyway, In round pen work, Lyon's is confusing at times with his
 instruction. I'd like to know what to start with first in the round pen.
 I know he buils his teaching with one thing and then adds another. On
 the 2nd symposium tape, he's taking a virtually wild arabian who never
 really even been halter broke and teaching it as the tape starts to move
 when he kisses to it and then after the horse is moving well, he starts
 asking it to chnage direction, saying inside, outside, and also adding R
 & L to the instruction. He'd say, " Inside to the Right" or Outside to
 the Left" This seems an awefull lot for a horse to pick up. Where's the
 KISS principle here? He also says he never wants to teach the horse to
 stop. Which book or tape does he go in order with the building cue
 process so I can pattern my training after it?

 I've taken Fly in the round pen a few times now, and he's definitely
 fearful and respectful of me in there, which is part of what I am
 wanting to teach him anyway. I tried just kissing to him when he was
 circling for a change in his direction and when he didn't understand at
 first I'd cut his path off so he'd be forced to change direction. He
 eventually got the connection that the kiss meant change his direction.
 Lyon's uses kisses for everything that means "move". I guess I don't
 really know what I'm trying to teach him in there other than I'm the
 alpha mare and he'd better  do what I want him to..

Susan;

I, too, was confused at first about the kiss meaning so many things but it
means "move something".  With your body language (intent) you are asking for
forward movement in the round pen.  Use of lariat or rope (I used an old
lunge line but be careful of the snap hitting you on the knee!) to back up
that command is used when necessary and only at the hip (stay out of kicking
range).  It is useful if you actually look at a spot on the hip to tell the
horse to go forward when making the kissing sound.  This is pressure and the
release (when you stop kissing) tells the horse he did it correctly.

I will give you an example.  The horse is on the rail with you in center
holding coiled rope.  Kiss to the horse, looking at hip spot, thinking "go
forward".  You might have to pop the rope against your leg to signify
"forward now".  If the horse was to choose to stand or walk forward a few
steps and stop, then while doing all of the above, throw the rope at
hindquarters.  Most Arabs won't need that much but they do look for evasions
sometimes, so you have to be prepared for what you need to do to step up the
request.  You might not realize it but you used very bold body language, so
that when you do it consistently the horse will recognize it.  First you get
the horse to move then you get the horse to move consistently then get the
horse to move in the direction you want.  So, you have the horse moving at a
nice trot around you and you ask the horse to change direction.  Move to cut
off the horse (I usually lift the coiled rope in the direction of the head
and put pressure on the head to move away) and it doesn't matter which way
the horse turns, just so he changes direction.  If you think the horse will
run over you, give way.  You can always try again but remember the 3 rules
(you don't get hurt, horse doesn't get hurt, horse is calmer at end than at
beginning).  As soon as the horse begins to turn, release the pressure and
let him go around the pen without asking anything of him.  That is reward.
If the horse tries to return to the original direction, you must get him
turned back quickly (instantly).  This is when the horse realizes you can
control his movement and his direction.  After several turns you will begin
to ask for turns in a specific direction.  Outside turns are toward the
railings of the pen and inside turns are toward the inside of the pen (toward
you in the middle).  This is where JL makes it look hard for the rest of us
because he doesn't seem to be doing anything different for the specific
turns.  He is and so will you because of the body language factor.  He steps
toward the railings to cut off the horse as before focusing on horse taking
his head away.  The horse has to virtually stop and roll back to go in the
opposite direction.  If the horse makes the correct turn then pressure is
released as before and the horse goes around the pen.  You must be specific
when asking for inside or outside turns.  Know which kind of turn you are
asking for, even saying out loud as JL does when he's explaining.  Teaching
the inside turn is just developing a slightly different posture or body
language cue.  As the horse is going around you, step away from the horse but
still cut off his path around the pen.

I'll try another analogy.  Pretend the pen is a clock that you are looking at
from above.  You are in the middle and the horse is going clockwise (to the
right) and is at 12.  To get an outside turn you would step toward the horse
at about 3 o'clock.  The horse turns correctly and you let him go around once
to let him know he got the right answer.  He is now going to the left.  You
wish to teach him the inside turn so when he reaches the 12 o'clock position
again, you step back toward the 6 as well as toward the 9.  This gives the
horse enough space to turn to the inside (toward you).  The horse won't
likely get the answer correctly on the first try as outside turns have been
correct up till now.  In that case get the horse turned back around as
quickly as possible and ask again in exactly the same way.  The answer is
always easier for the teacher than the student.  You are simply telling him
"wrong answer, try again".  He will know when he gets it correctly because
you will cease giving him verbal cue (kissing) and your body language will
stop putting pressure on him.  Being allowed to go around the pen with no
more requests for a short period will reinforce the reward (release of
pressure).  Don't let him go endlessly around the pen with no requests
though.  It is not hard for the horse to focus on you and try to figure out
your requests when you are consistently clear and consistently reward the
correct answer.

Be sure to teach one kind of turn (usually the outside turn) first and get
the horse solid with recognizing your cue for that particular turn.  Then,
start teaching the other turn.  Don't be discouraged if he takes many tries
to understand that you mean for him to turn toward you and proceed in the
other direction.  It is important for him to keep moving after the turn.  You
don't want him to stop his feet and face you,YET.  That is down the road a
bit as you have to gain control of his response to ALL your requests.  As you
saw, JL then mixes it up a bit with different kinds of turns so the horse is
really paying attention to what his body language is saying.

If I can teach my horses to do this ANYBODY can!  It is NOT difficult for the
horse to relate to this as it is instinctive to the horse to pay attention to
very subtle horse body language.  You don't want the horse fearful, you want
respectful understanding.  Your goal should be to gain control through
response.  If when I have my horse in a pen or arena or pasture and I kiss to
him I expect a response to my request to "move something".  I have been
through the whole round pen lesson so I am sure he knows by my body language
that I am asking him to come to me.  I need to be consistent not only with my
cues but with my focus and concentration.  When you have the horse responding
to the kiss in the round pen you can naturally use it when you do leading or
will learn if you teach a cue and ALWAYS reward the correct answer.  I can
look at one of the feet and ask it to move by kissing (asking for movement),
think about putting pressure on that foot and have him move it.  Now, he
might move another foot first but because I don't stop the pressure until he
moves the foot I was concentrating on, he will keep trying.  I tell him
"right answer".  I don't have to physically touch him or push him or smack
him to get him to at least TRY to find the correct answer.  This helpful if
he is standing on the hose as I am filling his water bucket!

Important to remember is to be very specific about what you want to move and
which direction to move it.  If something doesn't seem to be working, go back
a step and practice that.  Think how it might be more understandable if you
added another step to the lesson plan.  Horses don't knowingly give you the
wrong answer.  They either don't know what it is or are not motivated to look
for it.

Good luck with your teaching and beg, borrow, buy or rent the rest of the
tapes in the series so you can continue to get the control so necessary for a
positive relationship with your horse(s).

Melanie in AZ