Do it yourself tick control

I have successfully made my own by soaking strips of cotton cloth in the appropriate insecticide and then braiding the strips to form the length desired and knotting them onto the appropriae place  Cat ofr dog neck , my ankle, horses fetlock..  Replace after crossing puddles and streams.

This has proven cheap and safe and effecive.

Yes ticks do fall from trees as they are paracitic to birds and fall from nests when the nestlings and parents leave.