Re: RC: Pant Clips// Summer Riding pants

Jerri Larsen wrote:

> When using pant clips on the bottom of your breeches or tights, what is the
> secret to them not hurting while in your shoes or boots???  Also what
> tights, breeches etc, are good for summer riding that are not so hot in the
> warm weather?

The only horsey "pant clips" that I am familiar with are the short
elastics with clasps on either end used on kentucky jodphurs or
hunt-style jodphurs (these days mostly worn by little kids).
Sometimes the elastics have button holes that fasten to buttons
on the jods instead of clasps.  In either case, the elastic goes
on the outside of the boot.

I have found a brand of riding tights that have so-called "dancer's
stirrups."  Instead of being just a piece of elastic, or, worse,
a continuation of the tight's Lycra material that is stitched
together right underneath the bottom of your foot and therefore
extremely uncomfortable, the dancer stirrup is a kind of...uh,
it's hard to describe.  It's a more sophisticated construction
that encloses your ankle with only a short, wide part that
goes under your foot with the stitching on the outside above
the ankle where it is least likely to rub.  I guess you'd have
to look at dancer's tights to really get the idea.  The maker is
KB Apparel in Wales, Massachusetts.  413-245-6882.  No web site.
If you do call, be sure to give them your inseam length and weight,
since they tend to run small.  As riding tights go, more on the
pricey side.  I like the stirrups because I have skinny legs and
regular tights always ride up on my legs.

I wouldn't say they were any cooler than any other cotton Lycra
tight.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Linda_Merims@ne.3com.com