Odd edema after 14 mile ride UPDATE and horse's age CORRECTION

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

CORRECTION:  My friends horse is 11 years old... NOT
1 year old (Typo on my part.. I bet some eyes popped out on that one, sorry).

The vet came thismorning and said two things were going on:

1)The horse has strained the quads in both hind legs (there was
a river crossing on the ride, with a climb up a steep sand bank).
It's a river we've crossed many times, but the bank on one
side is pretty soft sand this time of year.
The horse is still going wide and seems stiff, but no prominent
lameness, he said hand walking, rest & re-hab.

2) He said the sheath and midline swelling, may be bug allergies
or it may be related to the sore muscles.. he doesn't know.

A complete blood panel will be done, muscle enzymes, etc.

My friend is mega bummed.
Thanks for all the replies.

Speaking of this River crossing.. we are not unfamiliar with
the dangers.. but things happen. I've crossed it about 300 times.

Two years ago crossing it, my mare's front end went down in a
sink hole (the river bottom is hard & soft sand and you have
to read the bottom correctly). She pushed her head out like
she was going to swim and water was coming over the pomel.
Life was slow-motion at that point.

The current pushed her over (I didn't fall off) and she rolled
over and pinned me under the water for a few seconds.

We both came up, and thank god I was out of her way.
We were both fine. She wasn't flipped out and wasn't afraid
the next time we crossed.

Barb

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-