Re: intranasal vaccine for strangles

In a message dated 1/16/99 11:29:13 PM Central Standard Time, Vuduvet1 writes:
I have seen a number of horses get sick from the intranasal too.  Not quite
that serious, but they get snotty noses, fever and swollen THROAT lymph nodes.
I took my baby out and exposed him when he was 2 (prepped him by giving him
Garlic, Vit C and Echinacea).  He was sick for about 3 days which I treated
with homeopathics and has been fine since.  He shows regularly as an eventer
and gets vaccinated only with EEE/WEE/Tet every other year.
Kim Henneman, DVM

 I am concerned that the lymph node swelling is the retropharyngeal (throat)
nodes rather than the mandibular ones typical in a natural infection.  That
means that the intranasal vaccine progresses deeper into the body.  I still
think it is better to keep defenses up with proper nutrition, good environment
and other immune boosters (Vit E, Vit C, echinacea, garlic, astragalus) rather
than vaccinating for this.  Treat active infections with homeopathics,
acupuncture or Chinese herbs.
 Kim Henneman, DVM >>