Correct Down hill riders position

From: Penny Dees
Email: animules@thegrid.net

Recently, I was at a Trail Trial, I used the saddle horn to keep me from going to forward while going down a steep hill. I had the palm of my hand on the horn to stay vertical while my horse was descending, at a walk. I was off my horses hind quarters so he could use them to get under and work going down the hill. I was told that it is not acceptable to use my hand against the horn. I was told that this has changed recently, is this so? I was told my body and leg position was good, just that I was not to be touching the horn. I would certainly appreciate your insight. Thanks, Penny Dees