Re: Rabies titre and protection certificate

One of the issues is how meaningful a rabies titer is. The following came
from a discussion with a vet.

Vaccines stimulate 2 different aspects of the immune system - antibody
response and cell-mediated response. Unfortunated titers measure only the
anti-body response and there is nothing to indicate cell-mediated response
tracks antibody response. Cell mediated response is apparently particularly
important in viral diseases.

I would be interested in comments from anyone with any real expertise this
area.

I am not aware of any state than mandates a rabies vaccine for horses, but
if I lived in an area with high incidence of wild animal rabies I would
vaccinate, but if there is better indication of frequency, that would be
great.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net