Re: using glucometers

In a message dated 1/8/99 11:51:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Rowles.Joie@mayo.edu writes:

<< Anyway, I have a glucometer that I measure our dogs blood glucose
 levels with (two diabetic labs!), and have read that this can been done on
 the horse during competitions.  My question is how do you get the blood?  A
 pin prick method?  Where is the best place to do this on the horse's body?
 What is the normal fasting glucose range in horses, and what value would I
 be happy seeing during competitions to know that we were slightly
 hyperglycemic?   >>

Normal fasting level in a horse hovers around 90. After a grain feeding, a
normal glucose curve would peak at 1 1/2 to two hours in the neighborhood of
130-145. At six hours post feeding grain, you'll be back at fasted levels. If
you can operate steadily over 100 in competition you should be ok.

 We shave an area of shoulder skin, squeeze up a fold, and use a large guage
needle or a sticker. The Elite glucometer seems to be the best because its
strips "suck up" a drop of blood rather than having to transfer a drop of
blood onto a strip.

ti