Re: Fire Mt. 50

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:25:48 -0800 (PST), Terry Woolley Howe
<cancer@inet1.inetworld.net> wrote:

>THIS IS NOT THE CHAMPIONSHIP RIDE.  The championship ride is in August, and
>no LD riders will be allowed.  That is a specially sanctioned ride, which is
>the only way you can have a ride that specifically limits the riders by
>qualifications.  This is a regular AERC sanctioned ride and is open to all
>who get there entry submited in a timely manner.

<snip>

>Who are the championship riders?  Right now this is just a group of riders,
>some of which may qualify, and of those, some may decide to drive 1,000
>miles to compete in August.  This is not like the championship series of
>years ago where there were only three dates to compete, and if you missed
>out on one you could not get enough points to win.

OK, I stand corrected ... as I said, I have not followed the
development of this program, and I thought it followed the pattern of
the previous Championship series.

I still believe, though, that it would be appropriate to -- up to a
specific date -- give priority to the 50-mile riders entering these
rides, if there is a limit on the number of entries.  After that date
it's first-come first-served as usual.  Or, set aside a specific and
announced number of slots for each distance, and after a specific
date, if one distance is not full open its slots to the other
distances.  I know this has been done at some rides in the past; the
Old Dominion used to give preference to the 100 mile riders over the
50 mile riders in this way.

This is not discriminating against the LD riders.  If there was a 75
mile ride, for example, along with the 50, the 50 (as a Championship
qualifying event) should have priority over the 75.  IMO.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net