Re: Enviro-horse

I am going to back Connie to the wall on this.  I am also a member of this
infant group.  I sent requests out on "Ridecamp" for information from other
areas of the country.  Only a very few responded, and all with a trail loss
tale.  I am not as eloquent as Connie or Kandee.  Their wonderful posts have
gotten many more responses.  Thank you both!  We are working with the
University of Davis.  Our meeting was held at a Farm Bureau Office with their
full cooperation in the meeting.  Governmental agencies who are working on
these issues were present, from the Resource Conservation Districts.  We had
leaders and members from AERC, NATRC, IAHA, Back Country Horsemen, and Soils
Researchers there.  We invited top leaders in the state from these
organizations, as well as Heritage Trails, not all could make the date, time
or place.  We and they hope to make the next meeting.

This is not a club.  We are looking for answers to help all horsemen to remain
on the trails, and in the communities where they live.  We need your help!  We
need to hear of problems in your area.  We need to know what studies have
already been done.  We most definitely will need your help to find grant money
to do the many research projects necessary.  MONEY, research takes money.  If
you know of organizations, foundations, funds, or Ted Turner Enterprises; that
is the kind of money this research is eventually going to need.

The "Clean Water Act" has been mentioned as one of the newer regulation bodies
who can, with a stroke of their pen, make our presence illegal.  "Fish and
Game" can do the same.  The EPA has moved from looking at "source point"
polluters (big industry or plants) to "non source point" polluters.  THAT
MEANS EVERY STABLE, GRAZING LAND OWNER, AND HORSE USER!  Now it is going to
take them a little longer to get around to all of us, but you know the
government.  Do any of us escape licensing our vehicle or paying our taxes.
WE are glad we have this time to have research done.  We want to be ready with
the answers when the finger is pointed.  Thank you Dr. Rob Atwill!

Now lets define the problem areas, get more research institutions involved
and find the money to do the work!

We hope to host a meeting this fall where all who are working on these
projects may get together.

Sincerely,

Lynge Simoni
San Jose