Trails Issues

I thought some of the Ridecampers who are dealing with Trails Issues might be
interested in this article from the Salt Lake Tribune (Jan. 15, 1999).
Unfortunately, articles like this are probably in newspapers all over the
country.  I have contacted the Back Country Horsemen of Utah and will probably
join their organization.  I won't comment on the individuals opposing this
equestrian park and how their homes crammed in the foothills have affected MY
access to tranquility.....

Bob, Bryan and I sent our petitions to you so let me know if you did not
receive them.

Sheri Kuykendall and Jos
Salt Lake City, UT

Stink Raised Over Sandy Plan for  Equestrian-Oriented Park, Trails
BY JON URE
THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

SANDY -- Affluent residents near the site of the proposed
equestrian-oriented Hidden Valley Park connected to the Bonneville
Shoreline Trail say something stinks about the plan. Or will, if it is
approved by Sandy officials.

           Horses, their droppings and odors will overwhelm the area's
tranquility, say neighbors who oppose a plan to include a trailhead and a
10-stall horse-trailer parking lot for the 40-acre park proposed at 11600 S.
Wasatch Blvd.

           But equestrians assure the residents they will keep the area
clean, safe and odor-free. They surveyed residents of other homes near horse
trails and found that property values increase and newcomers consider the
trails an asset.

           Most positive, says equestrian advocate Diana van Uitert, is the
enhancement of the country atmosphere residents will notice as riders lope
along.

           But some, like Pat von Khrum, are not so sure. They are
considering an appeal to the City Council of last week's Planning Commission
preliminary approval of the park. The planning board will vote on final
approval once Sandy Parks and Recreation designers comply with conditions
imposed by the commissioners.

           But von Khrum and her neighbors lament what they predict will be
lost privacy, more dust, foul odors and crowds in their upscale neighborhood
at the mouths of Big and Little Willow canyons.

           ``The biggest problem is not the trail, if it is kept away from
the park,'' von Khrum says. ``The problem is the horse parking right next to
the church.''  No problem, explains Dan Medina, Parks and Recreation's chief
of parks.   New designs moved the lot and if The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints agrees, the city will post signs banning parking of trailers
in the church lot. In addition, Sandy police officers will be authorized to
issue citations to violators on church property.

           Other conditions to make the project palatable to neighbors,
Medina says, include better access and egress from parking areas.
The city will also post notices explaining the city's animal cleanup
policies.

            Most of the conditions are good, says van Uitert. The equine
crowd is willing to do a lot more than horse lovers are known for, including
cleaning up horse manure. Fences along the equestrian trail leading to Draper
are acceptable, says van Uitert, a 12-year member of the Sandy City
Recreational Trails Committee.

           She is also a member of the Mountain Ridge Unit of the Back
Country Horsemen of Utah, which predicts horse lovers will have to put forth
more effort if they hope to preserve areas for their animals.

           The group is creating guidelines to adopt trailheads as a means to
preserve equestrian areas and keep them safe for nonriders, clean and as
odorless as possible.

           Until now, van Uitert says, Utah horse lovers never worried about
cleaning up after their animals. Now, van Uitert slams a shovel into her
saddle holster instead of a rifle.

           ``It's a sign of the times,'' she says. ``You will find most will
be willing to clean it up if they know it is their responsibility. Because of
the land being gobbled up, we are going to have to share more and be more
conscious of other users.''