Re: late entries

In a message dated 1/15/99 5:32:55 AM Pacific Standard Time, dpfreed@webtv.net
writes:

<< I think folks that have tons of miles (as my friends) have formed the
 habit over the years of waiting until close to the ride to mail entries.
 If you are campaigning, your horse may not be sound for a particular
 event, costs are expensive, etc. . >>

Speaking as a ride manager, we have a cut-off time for entries, based on the
necessity of knowing how many riders to expect (# of outhouses, # of meals to
be catered, # of vetsand personnel needed).  Most rides I know of cheerfully
refund entry fees if you can't attend and let RM know before the ride takes
place.  Last minute entries are a nightmare to the RM of a ride with extensive
offerings . . meals, nice awards, etc.  If a ride offered no amenities, and
there are a few of these, then last minute entries MAY not be a problem.
However, some parks impose limits, and at the very least, RM needs to know how
many vets to contract.  If a RM thinks there will be 50 riders and has 2 vets,
but 100 riders show up, that changes the dynamics of the ride quite a bit.
RMs simply ask for some consideration . . . they are not mind-readers.

BMc