Re: intranasal vaccine for strangles

katswig@deltanet.com writes:

<< Maybe I am going to show my ignorance here, but what is wrong with
just letting a horse GET strangles???>>

I know Heidi has already given an answer, but I thought I could maybe
add something from here in the UK.

As a rule we do not vaccinate for strangles, and vaccination for
strangles is not a requirement for participating in a ride (flu is
the only one which is, and then only if a ride starts from a
racecourse). I am following the vaccination posts with interest as I
would welcome a safe way of preventing our horses from getting
strangles at all.

I have always been told that in a horse with strangles there is a
risk of 'bastard strangles' (as it is called over here) developing
which can be fatal as abcessing occurs internally. We had a mare who
was touch and go with strangles and the vet began to suspect that the
infection had migrated internally, but happily he was wrong and she
was just slow to recover. I would always do my utmost to prevent the
spreading of strangles to uninfected horses as I could not bear the
risk of it turning into 'bastard strangles'.....

Liz and Basil The Nag
--

Dr E Carpenter
Institute for Cardiovascular Research