Re: effectiveness of intra-nasal vaccine

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/14/99 7:10:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, dpfreed@webtv.net
> writes:
>
> << Point:   does the intranasal vacine work better or just reduce side
>  effect.   >>
>
> According to what I have read, it also works better than the IM vaccines--some

It DOES make sense that the intranasal would work better than an IM, since
the normal infection pathway for the actual disease is through the
respiratory tract (not injected into a muscle...like encephalomalitis
is..via mosquito).  It would also give the horse's body a better chance to
build the defenses where the disease is most likely to invade, and not
"traumatize" the horse's immune system by bypassing the defenses of the
respiratory system.

kat
Orange County, Calif.