Re: 2 alpha horses

This is the same kind of thing we have to do with our dogs...we have 5 (down from
about 9 last year) and it is necessary that they understand YOU are the head
honcho.... dogs or horses...I never allow any ill tempers during feeding or any
interactions such as when we are saddling up or riding together, trailering, etc.
We have a mare who came from a home where she was top horse... she is now pretty
low on the totem pole if not on the bottom...if left to their own devices, a
younger 2 year old will bully her into not coming in to eat her grain...  in fact,
the old gal refuses to come in unless I am standing there to provide interference
between them.  I have been working with the 2 year old, establishing MY dominance
and she got the message!  She now comes in LAST and doesn't give that old mare as
much hassle as she used to, at least not in MY presence!!  But Michelle is right
on here...it may not solve the problem entirely but I think with consistency,
horses will adopt your viewpoint and at least be less aggressive to the lower
horses in the pasture or when you're not around.
Maggie