Re: ulcers

In a message dated 1/13/99 6:33:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< Thanks Heidi - so I guess my next question would have to be can a horse
 get an ulcer without the presence of the bacteria?  If the bacteria must
 be there, then I'd think, as in humans, you'd want to use antibiotics.
 So, do they treat ulcers in horses that way?  Lif >>

There often are bacteria present, so we treat ulcers in horses with drugs that
block acid production, drugs that block histamine production, antacids,
antibiotics, and also a drug that is not absorbed but works like a patch on
the raw spots.  Quite a program...

Heidi