Re: pro/running martingales

In this discussion, I guess I was nieve in thinking that people knew how to
fit a martingale properly.  I agree that the martingale would be a bad thing
if it was not long enough.  I was told that the martingale ring should be even
with the top of the shoulder.  That way my horse's head has to be really high
before the martingale comes into action.

However, I was able to make a significant improvement in my horse's top line
with the use of side reins - the key is I didn't attach them to a bit but to a
lunging cavason.  I have before and after pictures that make him look like a
completley different horse.  I would never attach these to his mouth though.