Fwd: Nevada Horse Shooting Arrests

In a message dated 1/12/99 10:38:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<<    Nevada Police Name Three Horse-Killing Suspects >>

Anyone who isn't completely horrified by this must be comatose. One hears
about man's inhumanity to man - which seems to be a given going into the 21st
century - but what about man's inhumanity to the ones who came first: the
beasts of the field, the bids of the air and the creatures of the deep.

On Monday, whilst our 4H kid were traipsing through the parking lot of the
equestrian area acros form our house, they were treated ot eh sight of some
"cowbo" slugging his horse in the face and whipping him about the eyes with a
thick lead rope, laden with big knots. The girls screamed in horror, and raced
in to tell me what was going on. As these gutsy gils hollered to this "man"
that he WAS NO MAN, I called firts Animal Control. Their lines were busy for
nearly 10 minutes. So....the Sheriff came - 2 squad cars - and spent about 30
minutes with him. There report to me? Well, thye saw him hitting the hors ein
the face, but THE HORSE WASN'T BLEEDING so THEY COULDN'T DO ANYTHING!!!!! If I
beta on YOU in a parking lot, is it okay because I don't make you BLEED? Can a
person terririze their child with insults and threats without bleeding - and
it is okay? It does NOT take an animal control expert to understand that
whacking ANY animal in the face is sick and wrong. Not being iexperienced with
horses is no excuse for letting it happen, but this is the mentality we LIVE
with.

The crux of it was that my associate in 4H an di traiel this man (beating his
horse al the way home) and found OUT where he lives. He saw us, he knows he is
being watched, and so we now have 3 people willing and EAGER to swear out a
complaint against this piece of trash if he shows his mug again at the arena -
video cam in hand, he will be tuned over for charges. While we who are
prepared to file agaianst him consider our own safety (who knows what an
abusive man might do?), it is clear that we stand strong if we stand together
against this evil. Who is it who wrote, "all that is needed fo evil to abound
is for good men to do nothing??"
San

---- Begin included message ----

From: Guest
Email: Guest@endurance.net

                  Nevada Police Name Three Horse-Killing Suspects

                  RENO, Nev. (Reuters) - Nevada police announced Tuesday they
had three
                  suspects, including two U.S. Marines, in the slayings of 34
horses brutally
                  shot to death last month in what authorities called a
pointless spree killing.

                  Officials at the Washoe County Sheriff's Department said
they had one man,
                  identified as Anthony Merlino, a local construction worker,
in custody. The
                  other two suspects, identified as Scott Brendle and Darien
Rock, were
                  being held at their military bases at Twentynine Palms and
Camp Pendleton,
                  California. All the suspects are 21 years old.

                  Police declined to say if they had determined any motive for
the shootings,
                  which appalled a state known for its love of its cowboy
heritage, but
                  Sheriff's Department spokesman Sgt. Bob Towery said police
had obtained
                  at least one ``partial confession'' from one of the
suspects.

                  The first batch of horses was discovered dead over Christmas
weekend,
                  their corpses littering a valley near Reno known as Devil's
Flat.

                  Authorities said the animals appeared to have been shot at
close range with
                  high-powered weapons. Many, including pregnant mares, had
been shot in
                  the stomach, while others had been shot in the hindquarters
and had crawled
                  for hundreds of yards before they died.

                  Police said the suspects would be charged with three
felonies, for which
                  they could face up to five years in prison for each
conviction. They also
                  faced two misdemeanor charges apiece.

                  The horse killings, which animal protection officers termed
the worst
                  slaughter of free-roaming horses in recent memory, shocked
and outraged
                  the local community, where animal protection groups helped
raise a
                  $35,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and
conviction of the
                  killers.

---- End included message ----