Re: why join AERC?/trails

Connie, you brought up a lot of good points, and some good background
information that newbies like myself need to know.  I agree it will take
$$$ to do this, but I believe it should and must be done.  The Bylaws of
the AERC state that one of the purposes of this organization is "To
encourage the riding of historic trails and to preserve such trails for
future generations."  Clearly, the organization has a self-declared
mandate to be active in trail preservation.  This is one of the reasons
that I and others have suggested AERC take a hard look at its financial
structure this year -- too many of the stated purposes are not being
fulfilled at this time.

While getting involved on the local level by joining local riding/trail
clubs and Back Country Horseman, working on your own trails, contacting
local officials, etc., is good advice for those who have local trails, it
is important to remember that the AERC is a national organization
representing members like myself who have no local trails, no local
riding/trail clubs, and no chapter of BCH. And I'm sure that there must be
members in other parts of the country who have local trails that are not
in danger now, who would like to put forth a bit of effort to preserve
trails elsewhere.

If the AERC could provide information and guidance at the national level,
to effect coordinated action by the membership, folks like myself could do
our part in trail preservation by wielding keyboard and telephone. Few can
deny that better organization is the key to success, and I believe that
AERC is in a perfect position to provide the focal point for an active
trail preservation group.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310