Herd Mentality

I've been getting a new education on herd mentality lately.  My 'new' horse
and my 'going' endurance horse have been trying to decide who is the boss.
Unfortunately, we are at an impasse.  Neither one will give an inch and they
are having some pretty knock down, drag out, brawls.  I actually broke one up
with a halter and leadrope (stupid, I know).  I currently have them separated
but that means taking turns out in the field and is a pain in the, well you
know it's a pain.  Apparently they are both 'alpha' type horses and WILL NOT
back down.  I've never experienced this problem before (lucky, I guess).
Anybody have any suggestions or am I doomed to rotate these feisty guys?

Sylvia