pro/running martingales

I thought my eight year old Moyle horse (competing since 5 years old), was
ready to "ditch" the running martingale at the beginning of the season this
year. He's had some basic dressage as a younger horse, and is very mellow on
the trail (absolutely no head tossing). Well lo and behold, after a month of
conditioning, his head carriage is creeping higher and higher, he starts
hollwing his back and crabbing. Imagine that!
Yes, I agree We could go back to basics, but it can be extremely difficult to
"keep" that frame on the trail under the best of circumstances. I put his
martingale back on, had a bit change a month later, and he is back to
travelling square, collected, and with a much more comfortable head carriage.
I did not have to "force" his head down with it; as a matter of fact, he seems
to like the security he gets from a running martingale. I for one intend to
keep mine on!
Becky and Moyle Miles (one happy camper!)