Re: why join AERC? Trails Conferences

OK Lynge:

The following diatribe will let me get some things off my mind and perhaps
get some ideas across while dispersing some of my frustrations. You are all
welcome to hit the idiot button at this point. (as in he is an idiot so
let's hit the delete button)

First we must examine our problem. To me it is that the ARC has, in the
past, addressed the trails issue but with little or no real support.

Funds have been set up but allowed to lapse. Monies have been set aside but
not channeled properly. i.e. Little or no enthusiasm, direction or purpose
from the total organization.

Now my bitch!! (delete here if you want) On Ride Camp, at the Convention,
where ever horse people congregate, you hear talk of what is the latest
thing to feed, what is the latest supplement, what is the best saddle, how
can I win that award, how can we increase our funds for awards. Bring up the
subject of trails and every one walks away saying " I still have some place
to ride".

Riders spend a small fortune on tack, feed, shoeing, special "go juice" but
cannot comprehend the loss of trails. Take a look at the rides presented for
competition at this point in endurance riding! Ten years ago many rides were
on logging roads at the worst. Today those logging roads are not available
and the rides are on hard packed roads and the trail is marked by pickup.
Have a endurance ride on a trail? No way, conflicts with hikers and
bikers(assumed by the agencies) No way, this is a National Park. No way,
horses destroy the environment. No way, horses leave manure and bring in
weeds.

As an example, Boise was an important stop on the Oregon Trail. We have
remnants of the trail still extant. We now have a Reserve set aside to
preserve this evidence of our heritage. Allow horses. Not only NO but HELL
NO. The horses would destroy the evidence of the trail and besides they
would conflict with the bikes!!

BIKES on the Oregon Trail?? Almost as bad a cows in Berkeley (I think Connie
will remember that one).

If we want the AERC to get behind the National Trails Program then we must
bring a very good proposal to the Board in February. One that will have
support in fact not just in mention! A proposal that commits, dedicates and
projects an AERC willing to lead with all resources. If we can get an AERC
that is willing to develop as much of a trails program as it has for an
International program we would have a start.

This all starts with people. People willing to set aside personal agendas,
willing to forget regional preferences and people willing to work. People
willing to spend time applying for grants. People willing to speak out but
at the same time listen. Arlene and I have been trying, on a local and
regional scale, to do this for the past 15 years and have had very minor
success. So, this AERC effort also needs people who will not get discouraged
in the short term.

I would be very willing to go private with this and discuss ways and means.
Connie, would you care to lead this? I will be necessary to be represented
by a nation wide spread so all regional differences are considered. Linda
You from the East ( though West Va.. is a specialty in itself).

Shall we see what we can do????

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID