martingales (sort of)

	Just thought I'd mention that some horses (dare I specify Arabs?) toss
their heads for reasons that have nothing to do with bit avoidance or pain.
 I have one who tosses his head in pasture, in his stall, tied to the
trailer...tosses it the LEAST when ridden.  I consider this a 'vice'
related to boredom or frustration when there isn't enough action to keep
him amused--have seen him raise his head from grazing, look around, toss,
back to grazing with no sign of anxiety--just a bad habit.  I hesitate to
admit it but this guy has twice given himself a 'black eye' by tossing his
head in his stall and hitting the wall. (How dumb do you have to be to hit
your own head against the wall??? Twice.) Pretty much the only time he
tosses his head when ridden is if we walk for too long.  I can tell when
he's going to do it, and often amuse my friends by snarling 'don't toss
your head!' nanoseconds before he, yes, tosses his head, demonstrating yet
again my total mastery over this animal.  (No, he doesn't do it if I have
contact--just when I'm giving him lots of room to go long and low).
	Terre (and Mooch--singing 'I'm so vain....')