Martingales, head tossing etc.

I'm not sure if these techniques have been mentioned so I'll toss them
out (fully expecting them to be thrown back, of course).  I was taught
to  keep a straight line with the reins to the horse's mouth no matter
how high their head goes so that the horse can't evade the bit.  Keeping
a steady contact encourages the horse to drop his head into a more
comfortable position.  This technique worked for me when I first got my
mare and couldn't even see over the top of her head.  I also found it
helpful to do that "chewing through the reins" exercise at a walk and
trot.  I'm sure someone else can explain it better but it involves
asking the horse to give to the bit then gradually lengthening the reins
as they reach into the contact.  Then the horse should move in that
long, stretched down frame for a half a circle or so.  Its a good
relaxation technique.

Karen Gehringer
Florida