Re: RC: Shoes - 2 or 4 ?

> >feet with no problems.  Other than the obvious - two fewer shoes to lose and
> >two less shoes to pay for, are there reasons I should consider shod in
> >front, and barefoot behind?  Thanks.

I tried to go front shoes only, but that didn't work due to my horse being
tenderfooted on his hind hooves.  Also, the rocky ridges that I ride on
around here tear up the hoof wall.  I shod him all the way around the next
time my farrier came out.

BUT I would love to have him go half barefoot.
As Angie pointed out, there is more danger of slipping on concrete with 4
shoes than with 2.  Around here, I have to ride on the road or next to the
road for miles before getting to trails.  Even after getting on the
trails, I have to cross roads many times.  Apache has slipped several
times, but thank goodness he's never fallen yet.  We're just extra
careful.

In this wet area, my horse gets white line disease.  As a matter of fact,
I am treating one of his front feet for runaway white line disease.
Without the shoes, the disease is minimized.  With the shoes, it covers up
the symptoms and allows the disease to spread.

If your horse's hooves can handle it, go barefoot.  I know many friends
that shoe only the front.  Course, none of them are endurance
riders...Although the little Arabian I used to ride has such solid hooves
that I doubt I would have to shoe him at all even if I was using him for
endurance.  It all depends on if your horse's hooves are strong enough to
withstand the beating received from gravel, rock, pavement.  It also
depends on the soles of the hooves.  Apache is tenderfooted besides having
problems with his hoof wall tearing up on the rocks.  Getting his sole up
off the ground a little bit more helps a lot.  Judge your horse as an
individual, but those are some of my observations.

Good luck,
April & Apache (the "A" team)
Chattanooga, TN