RE: Ticks!

Title: RE: Ticks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Cowles

I get a permethrin concentrate that costs about $30 a quart, and is
mixed an ounce to 2.5 gallons of water or water / oil for direct
application.

We use the same stuff - it works for us too.  We add 1/3 ounce oil of citronella (from the local pharmacy) and 1/2 to 1 oz Skin So Soft.  I have heard that SSS may or may not work against bugs, but it does provide the oily base that helps the good stuff stick longer.  Who knows, maybe the sheer smell drives them off.

We make up a gallon at a time in a pump garden sprayer.  It beats spritzing by hand!  Once the horses realized that the wand wasn't a carrot or a whip, they did fine with it.  Major is exceptionally sensitive to fly & tick bites.  When he sees us out in the field w/ the sprayer, he runs up for his wetting down.  He even obligingly turns and moves so we can get all of him before he leaves.  I just wish the other gelding was so accommodating!

Linda Flemmer