PA horse owners rights being compromised

It is my understanding after reading House Bill 1418 that my consumer rights
are being threatened. The definition of veterinary medicine will determine
what can be done to your horse and by whom. This bill proposes changes to the
current PA Veterinary act. It was sponsored by Rep. Hershey and  the PA
Veterinary Association. It was referred to the committee of professional
licensure on May 4th, 1999. It says" the practice of veterinary medicine
shall include the diagnosis, trearment, correction, change, relief or
prevention of animal disease, deformity, defect, injury or other physical or
mental condition, including the prescription or administration of a drug,
medicine, biologic, medical device, application, anesthetic or other imaging,
theraputic or diagnostic technique or nutritional substance or technique on,
for, or to any animal including, but not limited to, acpuncture and
acupressure, dentistry, diagnostic veterinary pathology, homopathic,
chiropractic, and all other alternative medicine treatments and procedures,
physical or massage therapy, including cosmetic surgery." This is only part
of the bill but it seems to be directly related to us. We would no longer be
able to give our own yearly shots which we can do now except for Rabies,
couldn't have our horse dentist do our horses, couldn't have our massage
therapist or chiropracter work on our horse, couldn't have our blacksmith do
corrective shoeing without a prescription from the vet, could not feed our
horse any nutritional supplements without a vet's prescripition. The costs to
consumers will be very high if a vet has to be used or consulted for all of
these services. Blacksmiths, massage therapists, horse dentists and
chiropracters have taken special courses to learn and conentrate only on
their specific field. My vet is great but can't do everything, I don't
believe vets in school in PA are given any instruction in horse dentistry. My
freedom of choice is being taken away. I can take my children for holostic
health care but not my animals to whom I choose if this bill goes
through.There are many veterinarians opposed to the PVMA legistation but may
be fearful to stand up to their association for profession and personal
retribution. If you feel your right of choice is being threatened please
write a letter to Representative Mario  J Civera Jr., Professional Licensure
Committee, Chair, P.O. Box 202020; Harrisburg, PA 17120-2020 Please write! It
will make a difference.
Jane Lietzke