Re: RC: High Pulse

I also have a Morgan I am just starting to condition for
endurance (we just did our first 25 on May 1st).  Although
we are still working on getting in reasonable condition, I
have already noticed that Fred gets hotter and takes longer
to cool down.  I suspect this will always be a problem to
some degree, but part of it is that he is still somewhat
overweight... thus he retains more heat.  Secondly, I do not
expect his recoveries to ever be *wonderful*, although I do
expect that they will improve substantially with more
conditioning.

As far as your observation of heartrates in the 225
range.... the only time I have observed this (even with Fred
charging like the Devil on Derby Day... IOW, not MY choice)
is when one electrode, usually the lower one, has a poor
contact.  Typically, even when Fred is working harder than
I'd like, his heartrate only rarely gets to 185 or 190 (at
which time we slow down).  I suspect the problem is getting
good contact with your monitor electrodes and that the 225
is not a true reading. Although, these readings did cause a
bit of freak-out factor before I realized what was going
on.  Sounds like you've got the same thing.

In summary, I think our horses are quite similar in many
ways and I encourage you to keep going with your horse.  He
may never be a top tenner (then how many Arabs are
consistent top-tenners either), but if your goal is to do
lots of miles soundly and rack up completions... there is no
reaons I know of that your horse won't be just fine.  Beyond
that, I'm pretty much a novice at this so can only pass on
what others have told me.

Don't give up, don't worry... check your electrode contacts
and have a good time.

--
Kirsten (Price) Foruria
Vermilion Desert Ranch