Re: RC: RE: RE: RE: Fw: Drugs

In a message dated 5/13/99 8:09:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
grs@TheNetEffect.com writes:

<< I wouldn't mind in the least if published guidelines were exceedingly
 strict -- tell me 8 or 12 weeks rest after a single dose of bute and I'll
 happily comply. What displeases me about the current situation is that I
 am unable to make an *informed* and *rational* decision because the facts
 necessary to make that decision are unavailable to me. >>

The biggest problem with that is enforcement.  There is no point in wording
ANY rule in such a way that it cannot be enforced.  No two horses metabolize
any substance at the same rate, so blood tests won't tell you when a drug was
administered.

This is a problem that the veterinary committee struggles with continually,
and there just isn't a simple answer.  The levels that other sports establish
are simply too close to therapeutic doses to be acceptable to most of us.
Quite frankly, I agree with Bob's sentiment that if the horse is in need of
medical attention, he need not be out on the trail, and Glenda, your post
indicates that you believe that, too.  Our whole society is trying to come to
grips with the fact that technology is outstripping common sense, and as one
who firmly believes in the "no drugs" concept, I feel that the current AERC
approach of reviewing each "positive" case and determining whether or not a
penalty is in order is a good one.  It allows the veterinary committee to
consult with outside experts on the findings of tests, and it is sufficiently
flexible so that the policy need not be changed every six months as the
technology gets better.  I suppose one day the case will come that is
borderline, but so far, the few cases have been pretty clear cut--either
quite clearly therapeutic levels or quite clearly traces.

One thing that this entire debate illustrates to me is how much it is a
knee-jerk reaction sometimes to want to medicate for every little thing.
Just how necessary is that?  On the other hand, Bob is all too right that
there are entirely too many folks out there who are so caught up in their
projected schedules that they lose sight of the forest for the trees.  The
horse MUST come first, and one of the beauties of our sport is that it is one
of the few that tries to keep that goal in mind at all times.

Heidi