Re: RC: RE: Drugs

In a message dated 5/13/99 8:27:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us writes:

<<  One of my horses needs to have his teeth done, well I'd
 probably have them both done at the time time but I've been putting it off
 on the one since he's done three rides in the last six weeks, and he is
 very sensitive to being drugged.  <snip>  How soon would be too
 soon to have this procedure done, then take the horse to an endurance
 ride?  They are probably both going to be doing at least one per month,
 possibly two depending upon the schedule - and the next few months are
 going to be busier than normal. Should I just wait to have it done? >>

First of all, how bad are the teeth?  If they are bad enough to be causing
discomfort, then don't wait.  But if they are that bad, he will also need at
least two or three weeks to get used to chewing with his reconstructed mouth,
and shouldn't be going on a ride anyway until he has gotten past that and has
had a few weeks of normal chewing to get his roughage usage up to par.  On
the other hand, if this is routine dental maintenance, then it can stand to
wait until you have a big gap in your schedule.  We did all of the horses
that we even thought we might have an inkling of taking into competition this
year during the winter so that they would be ready to go.  The broodmares and
others who aren't going into competition we work through during the summer
when the weather is nicer and more conducive to getting elective procedures
done.

Heidi