Re: RC: RE: Drugs

>I called a reference lab yesterday and asked about the sensitivity to pick
>up traces of antinflammatories and sedatives.  They said that the can
>currently see traces in their dog models for up to 3-4 months.  (I don't
>know how well this would translate to equines - they don't do any equine
>testing there.)  This was certainly not therapeutic levels, but detectable
>levels.  Two years ago, this was not the case.

eeeeeek......but now doesn't the veterinary committee have some leeway in
cases like that, say if a horse were to have a very small detectable amount
of a drug in their system when they were tested at a ride? (well below
therapeutic levels?)

I have a question.  One of my horses needs to have his teeth done, well I'd
probably have them both done at the time time but I've been putting it off
on the one since he's done three rides in the last six weeks, and he is
very sensitive to being drugged.  Since this is an equine dentist who uses
power tools I prefer that he sedates the horse, we don't want any slip-ups
;^).  I don't even know what type of sedative is given to a horse for this,
but is it something that would or could stay in the system and if so for
how long, and would I need to be concerned about it?  How soon would be too
soon to have this procedure done, then take the horse to an endurance
ride?  They are probably both going to be doing at least one per month,
possibly two depending upon the schedule - and the next few months are
going to be busier than normal. Should I just wait to have it done?

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Weaver, 2,630 miles