Re: RC: Leatherman-type tools

BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:
> Linda_Merims@ne.3com.com writes:
> << Is there any tool on a Leatherman (or one of the many copycat tools now
>  out there) that is effective for cutting clinches? >>
>
> The model my husband carries has a plier with a wire cutting jaw.  That's the
> only part of the tool I can think of that would begin to cut clinches.

The problem I had when I tried this is that my cheap Leatherman knock
off's couldn't manage a clean cut; I was able to pry the clinches up,
but twisted them when I tried cutting, and that made it tougher to pull
the ends through the holes.

Straightening the clinches carefully and prying the shoe off (pulling
the clinches through the holes) with a screw driver or hoof pick worked
okay. It was tougher than with a set of pullers, took more "try" on each
side, but the shoe was off in a minute or two.

I don't straighten the clinches when I use pullers. Two or three tugs on
each side of the hoof to lever it off, and the clinches straighten as
they pull through the holes. Shoeing nails aren't that strong laterally.
The shoe is actually suspended from the clinches... hung on the bottom
of the foot. I'm amazed that they stay on at all!

My farrier only needs one tug on each side. I'm not good at it at all -
but I can get the shoe off in less than 5 minutes, which is a huge
improvement. I asked him to teach me after having a shoe with two nails
take me 30 minutes to get off. I knew it would have taken him 30
seconds; knowing that made it much more frustrating.

I talked to him about learning to trim, and decided that I want too
much!!! There is so much to learn, that it's easy to get spread thin. He
suggested a good book on shoeing, so I'll satisfy myself with learning
more. If anyone's interested, I'll get the title and send it out.

  -- Linda

--

  Linda Cowles
  Lion Oaks Ranch