From: Flemmer, Linda [mailto:flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 1999 1:05 PM
To: 'Bob Morris'; Flemmer, Linda; 'Blythe Anne M'
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RE: RE: Fw: Drugs

Bob, you've missed the point by a mile.

What about a horse who was treated literally weeks or months ago, under a vet's care, with procaine penicillin, or bute, or was sedated for a procedure (teeth floating, etc)...  With improved, more sensitive drug testing, when does the clearance = ZERO?  The horse may be ready to go back to work, but is there a residual, testable drug there?  What are the guidelines for clearance?

What about feeds that carry biotin in large amounts (to improve feet)?  Better yet, there is a local feed here that has Yucca in it.  If one doesn't know any better, they may think that they are simply feeding an "all natural feed".  Do the new members realize that electrolytes are ok?  That ice is allowed?  What topicals are allowed/disallowed?  The information is not presented to them!

The AERC committee responsible for drugs needs to do a better job educating the membership as a whole, and especially individuals  who are new to the sport.  We aren't talking performance enhancement and using drugs as a crutch.  I want to know that I am honestly following the rules to the best of my ability.  Give me guidelines & I'll follow them.  On the other hand, I won't withold veterinary prescribed medical treatment of my horse because I have a ride in 2 months and I don't know if the drug will have cleared by then!

Linda Flemmer