Biltmore

  As usual, Anne and group did an extraordinary job!  Trails were in great
shape, especially after all the rain they got.  Of course, this kept some
people away. But there were still around 150 total horses starting in both
distances.  106-108 in the 50 and 41 or so in the 100.  You would think that
with 100+ horses the start would have been a nightmare.  But it wasn't.
People sort of arranged themselves where they thought they should run.  And
had a nice sedate start.  Amazing really.
  Anne had 7 vets, Duane Barnett, Ray Randall, Tish Chisolm, Dwight Hooten,
Mike Bridges, Lani Newcomb and Ken Marcella who was the treatment vet.  I
personally was never held up. Never had to stand in line to see the vets.
I'm sure there had to be some, but I don't think anyone was held up for long.

  The trail at Biltmore is marked differently than most rides.  They have
permanent markers, colored arrows.  And once you get used to it, pretty easy
to follow.  It was really marked well too!  On one loop, on the 50, we rode
below the Biltmore house.  It was an incredible thing to behold.  And the vet
check is up on a hill, overlooking the house.
  Goat and I started out at a fairly sedate pace.  And eased around the first
loop.  He recovered right away, so we paced several people in the vet check.
The next loop was around 21-22 miles.  And I decided to let him move out a
bit.  Catching several more on it and in the next vet check.  We went out on
the last loop in 11th/12th with Steven Baker.  Enjoyed riding with you
Steven!  And ended up in 7th/8th place overall, just 13 minutes off the lead
time.  I had no idea we had made up that much time on the leaders.
  I'm really glad that Chris Rule is doing better.  Anne please keep us
updated.  See you next year!!

Nina Gibson and Saint Patrick Z (Goat)